The crock-pot is great for Mexican food that needs to be cooked at a low temperature for a long time. This shredded chicken is great for burritos, tacos, nachos or sandwiches. Try it this weekend for Cinco de Mayo!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
How to make it
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Rub the mixture into the chicken breasts and place them into a crock pot.
- Add the onions and pour the chicken broth over everything.
- Cover and cook on low for at least 6 hours.
- Shred chicken in crock pot with forks and serve (Serves 8-10).
- If you don’t have chicken broth you can make some with a cup of hot water and a chicken bouillon cube.
- If you forget to defrost your chicken, throw it in frozen! Just give it a couple more hours to cook.
- Prepare the seasoning mix the night before and place it in a ziploc bag overnight to marinate with the chicken and chopped onion. In the morning, you can just dump the contents of the bag into the crock pot and add the chicken broth.
Recipe courtesy of The Everything Tex-Mex Cookbook by Linda Larsen (recipe pg 150).